Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Nuts


These are my very favorite nuts for salads but when I make them, I'm lucky to get enough left for the salad. I could eat them all day. They are so different from any other glazed nut I've tasted.


SPICED PECANS  

On a large baking sheet spread 1 1/2 cups pecans in a single layer. Bake in a 375° oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until nuts are toasted.


Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine -


2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons five-spice powder (I found at Spoons and Spice, also Pirate O's- any good cooking store) (this MAKES the recipe so don't skip it)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Set aside. In a small saucepan combine -


2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon unsalted butter


Bring mixture to boiling. Stir in the toasted pecans. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add pecans to sugar-spice mixture and toss to coat. Spread mixture on a large piece of aluminum foil that has been greased. Cool completely. Break apart . Good on salads or to eat alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment