Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Chicken Divan


Chicken Divan is one of the mainstays when I was a young bride. Since I remember everything in my life by what I ate, I do remember the first chicken divan I ate was fixed by a young married neighbor Margaret Agnew. She was this beautiful classy girl and they invited us over for dinner.....complete with silver serving pieces. I was in awe since my china was one that I had been collecting from Albertsons. The second chicken divan was another dinner party from another neighbor, this one named Ursula Bone (she was from Scandinavia) and she put, heart be still, cream cheese in her chicken divan. You know me and cream cheese. It was love at first bite. So where most people use mayo and lemon in their chicken divan, I put cream cheese....and sometimes add a little curry or a little fresh basil or a tsp. of prepared mustard. And chives. Anyway you prepare it, I'll love it.


The above picture was one of the meals I took to my neighbor a few weeks ago. I know you are impressed by the silver serving dish (aluminum pan but heh! They don't have to wash or return it!)


Chicken Divan


2 cups cooked rice
1 bunch of fresh broccoli or a pkg. of frozen spears, blanched or steamed until almost done
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked cut into bite-size pieces( 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
1 cup milk

1 can of cream of chicken soup (or I make a white sauce with broth, butter and flour)
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed (more if I'm feeling wicked)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves or 1 tsp. curry or 1 tsp. prepared mustard (I like curry best)


Spray your best silver baking dish. (lol) Make the sauce with the soup, the cream cheese, the milk and the cheese and spice of choice. Salt and pepper to taste. When hot and smooth, stir in diced chicken. Layer rice on bottom of dish, place broccoli over, then top with sauce. Bake for about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Microwaves work. I top mine with croutons or sliver almonds or buttered toasted crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment