Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Monday, August 10, 2020

Easy Peesy Artisan Rolls


My friend, Chef Valene, always makes Artisan bread but I never have.  I got the bug and found this recipe (Chris Scheuer- Pinterest)


I might never make real rolls again.  These are crisp on the outside, tender and chewy in the middle.  And they take about 2 minutes to stir up the night before, and then sit in a covered bowl overnight.  Wow!

I used:
5 1/2 cups of bread flour plus more for shaping
3 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
3 cups room temp. water

In a medium-large bowl, whisk the flour, salt and yeast.  Make a well in the enter and add the water.  I did this in my Bosch so I just threw everything together.  Took about 40 seconds to incorporate it all together.  Otherwise, mix with a sturdy rubber spatula until you have a wet, sticky dough.  Mine wasn't so sticky but it turned out well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to rise at room temperature overnight or for up to 12 hours. 

The following morning (or after 8-12 hours), the dough will have rise but it may still look shaggy and it's surface will be covered with bubbles.  Again, mine wasn't covered with bubbles (I may have shorted the water) but it was still lovely.)

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 425.  Why does my oven only go to 400?  It still worked.....

Dust your counter with 1/4 cup of flour and dump the dough out and turn it several times to coat with flour.  Cut the dough into 16 pieces (or whatever number you would like-don't let any recipe boss you around...)  Pull each dough into a roll shape, pulling edges under and pinching together to make a smooth top.  Place on prepared pan.  If you have pinched side up, you have a craggy, rustic textured roll.  I didn't (because I didn't want to be bossed....)  It works both ways.

Let the rolls rise for 20 minutes. 

Bake 15 minutes.  Rotate pan.  Bake 5 minutes more or until nicely golden. 

If making in advance, cook about 4 minutes less.  Cool completely, then freeze on a baking sheet.  Once frozen, transfer rolls to a large ziplock bag and store in freezer.  To serve, allow rolls to thaw, then heat for 8-10 minutes at 350.


No comments:

Post a Comment