Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Pie

Libby made this Key Lime pie last week at Bucket and it was instant love for everyone. It is a quick and easy dessert and will be a staple at our house since my hubbie is a Key Lime lover.




Sorry I don't have a picture of my Key Lime pie I took for our service auction last night. The key is using the above ingredient (the recipe is on the bottle)...and FRESH sweetened condensed milk. Last week I made the pie for neighbor meals and my milk must have been in the pantry a titch too long. You know how it goes that caramel color? It still tasted good but it wasn't the color I was going for. So I added some green food coloring. Too much. Then some yellow. The color ended up looked like....oh wait. I probably have the "bad" example.


Your Key Lime Pie DOESN'T want to look like this.

It looks like the blob from outer space. You needed to close your eyes to eat it....then it tasted like heaven.

I also found the recipe a titch skimpy for the shell. For the service project, I doubled the recipe, then used a larger graham cracker crust (the one that says "two servings larger") and had about 3/4 a cup left over (just to eat with a spoon because that makes you happy as well.) For two small crusts, I would triple the recipe. Here is the original recipe. Double it if you want more filling.


Nelly and Joe's Key West Lime Pie

1 graham cracker pie shell
1- 14 oz. can FRESH sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks (whites not used)
1/2 cup Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime juice

Combine milk, egg yolks and lime juice. Blend until smooth. Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Allow to stand 10 minutes before refrigerating. Just before serving, top with freshly whipped cram and garnish with lime slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment