Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Larry's Seafood Gumbo

Friend, Gail, shared this recipe with me, created by her husband, Larry. I will make this again and serve it with good sourdough bread. I'm not a scallop girl so I substituted crab for the scallops. (And first time I've purchased okra in my life!)

Larry’s Seafood Gumbo


3 T. butter
(2) 14 ½ oz. cans stewed tomatoes
1 pound medium-sized peeled shrimp,
tails off, cooked (or frozen, cooked)
½ to 3/4 lbs. scallops, cut into ½ inch pieces or bay scallops
2 onions, diced
4 to 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 cups chicken broth (can be reconstituted)
½ to 3/4 pound sliced fresh or frozen okra
3 stalks chopped celery
½ cup uncooked rice
2 tsp. salt
½ tsp. basil
2 bay leaves
1/4 red (cayenne) pepper
fresh ground pepper
(note: I added about a tsp. of Creole seasoning)


Melt butter in a large soup pan. Add chopped onion and garlic. Saute until translucent. Add chicken both and all other ingredients EXCEPT rice and celery. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add rice and celery. Cook 20 to 30 minutes, until rice is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment