Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

French Banana Cake


(I'm doing a repost of this cake since I'm making it today for a family dinner.)


I have been on the lookout for a banana cake that is moist and mouth-watering good. Like one they used to serve at "Food For Thought" restaurant in Draper. I finally found it! I made it this weekend for my MIL's birthday...and everyone LOVED it!




French Banana Cake

2/3 cup water
1 T. white vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 package white cake mix
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups very ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup walnuts, optional (I didn't put these in...just the thought gives me cankers!) (Make it without then have chopped nuts for those who like to sprinkle on top. Make mine without nuts please!)


Mix water, vinegar and soda. Combine with cake mix and eggs. Stir until moistened. Scrape bowl with spatula. Add mashed bananas. Beat with electric mixer 3 minutes at medium speed. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan. ( just Pammed it.) Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean). Frost,when cooled.


I frosted this cake with cream cheese frosting with a little banana extract added.

I just make up my cream cheese frosting but by request, I use


1- 8 oz.cream cheese, softened


1/4 c. butter


about 1/4 c. milk


I added about 2 tsp. banana extract to this recipe but you don't need to. Plain cream cheese frosting is wonderful.


3 cups or more of powdered sugar



Mix the first 4 ingredients by mixer then carefully add the powdered sugar (making sure it doesn't fly all over your kitchen) until it is the perfect consistency for spreading. Try and keep your finger out of it. No double licking!




If you don't want to ice the cake, chill and serve with fresh whipped cream and sliced bananas. I think this would even top cream cheese frosting!







No comments:

Post a Comment