Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Shameless Dog


I just got back from our Charm Girl's Trip to the Oregon coast.  It is soooo fun being 14 yrs. old again without the drama- just raucous laughter, jabbering, eating, shopping and playing games.  Did I mention laughing?  And eating?

I won't share now but the best thumbs up on our "eats" was at our farewell at the Portland airport.  The Bahama Grill serves a dish called the Shameless Dog.  We were intrigued.  It was a hit!

The idea is a Vienna sausage, wrapped in bacon, then dipped in tempura batter and deep-fried.  It was served with an onion/sweet relish mixture and Dijon mustard. Soooo good.

Well, I tried to re-create it and failed miserably.  The tempura just would not stay on the dog....

So - 
 I dreamt about the dog last night and came up with a solution.  Today's dogs turned out much better!  Just trying to redeem myself.

Today I wrapped the Vienna sausage with bacon, secured by a toothpick.  I then baked it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350.  I wrapped the dogs in a paper towel to drain the excess grease and let cool.  The tempura batter I made was
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking flour
Seasoning salt to taste

Mix 1 egg
1 cup water
1 tsp. oil- then mix the two together and let batter rest for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle the dogs with flour so the dogs will adhere to the batter.  Dip in batter and deep fry.  Also the key to deep frying is to make sure your oil is hot when you put your food in it.

Serve with hotdog relish, onions, Dijon mustard- whatever you like with your hotdogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment