Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Not Your School Lunch Anymore!



(repost from my regular blog)


Macaroni heaven can be around any one's corner. I made a simple rue of butter and flour. Added about a cup of milk (with a hint of cream...just because the cream was in the refrigerator and feeling totally left out.) and grated up three kinds of cheeses- Colby, Parmesan and Monterrey Jack. When you add cheese, you need a little dried mustard to pop it. (It is like art...when you want to pop a color, you paint a titch of the color opposite it on the color wheel to bring it to life. It is why Christmas works (red and green.) The same principal applies to teeth. If yours are getting a little dingy and yellowed, don't wear purple lipstick. Just sayin"...... )



While my mac was cooking, I fried up a couple of pieces of bacon for the top. In the same pan, I also threw a couple of finger fulls of grated cheese on the fry pan to make a few cheese crisps to add some crunch to my mac. I didn't want to take the time to toast breadcrumbs for the top but I found some seasoned croutons and crushed them and scattered them on top.

How many ways can you spell heaven?

Brandi came home with the girls...and I told Rylee she needed a bite. Immediately I saw the nose crinkle. I knew she was shutting down on me. "Grandma," she said, "I can't believe you made macaroni and cheese for yourself. Grandpa's not here." (note to self: I didn't know you couldn't eat when hubby was gone....) (also note: I DO feed my MIL who lives downstairs if I really needed an excuse.) She tried not like it but I could tell she was won over. Her comfort food when she comes to my house is cooked noodles with butter with grated cheese sprinkled over it. She doesn't realize I was giving her baby steps to the school cafeteria. Next time she comes, I'm going to have her cook it with me....then she'll BE MINE! (witchie laugh sound effects...)







"When I walk in my kitchen, I am not alone. Whether we know it or not, none of u is. We bring father and mother and kitchen table, every meal we have ever eaten. Food is never just food. It's also a way of getting at something else: who we are, who we have been, and who we want to be." Molly Wizenbery

No comments:

Post a Comment