Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

PIMIENTO CHEESE MACARONI SALAD

My mom died 4 years ago and my dad 2 and I'm still not over.  I'm pretty sure most people don't get over it.  Still, after all this time, I have my boo-hoo days.  I just have a good old cry to help release all that missing.  How blessed I was to have parents that I adored.  I wake most mornings and then remember that they are gone but I close my eyes quickly and picture them, really see them, hear them and it always makes me smile.  I am a total believer in guardian angels and know that if possible, my parents (and David's parents that I adore as well) are doing all they can do to help my family with all that is going on right now.  Because all those grandparents LOVED their grandkids so much !

I have lots of food memories associated with my parents- my Dad- chilled Coke in a bottle purchased in a machine at Dad's work.  His bacon "in the waffle" that we all loved!  Bacon anything.  Blueberry pancakes.  I love my steak sauce because he loved his steak sauce.  We had lots of Van Camp beans...and he had strict instructions that you "NEVER" boil them, because it really does change the flavor.  He loved tons of onions in his fried potatoes.  Yum!

My mom and I shared a love of cooking and sharing and, of course, eating. When she died, I bet she had close to 100 cookbooks.  Before the day of convenience everything, Mom was a great fan of "snicky snacks (which is why for a million years, our family celebrates "Snicky Snack dinner" on Christmas eve.)- she loved little munchies.  One of our favorites was a Ritz cracker, with a small wedge of cheese and a slice of sweet pickle and pop it in your mouth!  We always had those little glasses filled with a spread of blue cheese or American cheese or pineapple and cheese or, our favorite, Pimiento cheese.  Stuffed celery was always a treat and never a holiday meal came and went without them...plus there were all those empty juice glasses to use!

My dad wasn't a big lover of macaroni until much later in life but my mom and I LOVED anything to do with mac!  We loved a good cheesy mac and cheese or a hamburger mac and cheese...or a good macaroni salad.  I'm not sure people love macaroni salad in this day as much.  But when I saw this recipe, for Pimiento Macaroni Salad, I got a little nostalgic lump in my throat (oh!  this missing!!!)- and knew Mom would want me to give it a try and then share the recipe with her!  David's not a mac fan either.  Maybe when he's older and a little more mature....but until then, I'll eat the whole bowl by myself! 

PIMIENTO CHEESE MACARONI SALAD

Author: Brandie @ The Country Cook with a variation)

Ingredients

  • 1 (16 oz) box macaroni noodles
  • 1 (12 oz) pimiento cheese
  • ½ cup mayo
  • 1 ½ cups diced ham
  • ½ cup diced green onion
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • and my addition, 3/4 cup sweet pickle relish!!!!

Instructions

  • Prepare macaroni per package directions.
  • Once macaroni is cooked, drain and rinse macaroni (in a colander) under cool water. Drain well and pour into a large bowl.
  • Stir in pimiento cheese and mayo.
  • Then stir in diced ham and green onion. Give it a taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
  • Chill for about one hour before serving!

No comments:

Post a Comment