Constant Growing Amazement Cooks!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Strawberry Turkey Salad

 (okay, my picture didn't quite turn out as glamorous as the cookbook picture.... but the salad was terrific!)


I made this wonderful salad for a luncheon I hosted for two writing friend.  As you can see, these quantities are huge so just cut it in half for a normal recipe!  Eyeball it.  I know you can!


Strawberry Turkey Salad

6 lbs. whole frozen turkey breast
3 tbsp. kosher salt
3 hearts of romaine  (* my variation- I added some spinach as well)
3 c. strawberries
2 c. walnuts (* you know me the the "w" word.  Sugared pecans were my substitute)
1 ½ c. dried cherries  (buy these where you would buy craisens but they are sooo much better)
1 lb. feta cheese, crumbled

In a large stock pot place the thawed turkey breast. Cover with water and add kosher salt. Bring to a boil and turn heat down to simmer. Slowly cook for 3 to 4 hours or until the turkey meat pulls easily off the bone. Drain and set aside. When cool to the touch, remove skin and pull off meat. Cut into large chunks. Discard bone. 

(my note-   You know how good turkey sandwiches taste later so I actually went with a bigger bird.  Turkey heaven.)

*my variation- I just roasted my turkey in an oven bag for a few hours.   It always turns out beautifully.


Clean lettuce (and I added spinach) and cut into bite-size pieces. Rinse, remove stems and slice strawberries. Chop nuts and dice dried cherries. Assemble on a large serving tray or individual plates (as pictured) with the turkey in the center, surrounded by strawberries, nuts, cherries and cheese. Serve with Sweet Strawberry Dressing.

(note:  I make lots of strawberry dressings and again, this one is unique and you want to slurp up the whole thing.  I used way less oil- probably about half and it was delish.)


Sweet Strawberry Dressing

10 strawberries with stems
½ c. pomegranate vinegar
1 c. sugar
½ c. water
1 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. coarse black pepper (I didn't add)
Rinse strawberries and place in blender. Add vinegar, sugar, water, oil, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Chill.


This recipe came from The Gathering of Friends cookbook Volume 4.  It is all photographed  at Thanksgiving Point and is breathtakingly beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment